8th Grade October Update from Sarah Baker
I am thrilled to begin by congratulating Alexa Tascher and Chris Williams for earning state recognition from Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program) for their scores on the SAT or ACT from this past summer. We are all so proud of these two students.
I would also like to thank all parents who joined us on Wednesday evening for the Washington, DC informational meeting. If you were unable to attend, see the trip overview and packing list handouts. Please note that cell phones are not permitted on our trip. We are excited for the students to “unplug” and be present with each other for these three days! If you have any questions as you read over these documents, do not hesitate to reach out to me, Ed Yohman, Denise Colpitts, or your child’s advisor.
In the midst of all of the exciting opportunities happening within our community, we cannot forget that many of our fellow North Carolinians lost everything last weekend as a result of Hurricane Matthew. In support of the Salvation Army, we will be doing a donations drive for the homeless people of Fayetteville beginning Friday, October 14 through Wednesday, October 19. They are requesting travel size toiletries (soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes, razors/shaving cream, shampoo/conditioner, and feminine products) as well as pillows/blankets, large black trash bags, and craft supplies. We will also collect non-perishable foods including canned fruits/veggies, canned meat/fish, canned beans/soup, cereal/oatmeal, whole grain pasta/rice, peanut butter, etc. These items can be dropped off in the black bins outside of Mr. Yohman’s office.
- Friday, October 14 – Wednesday, October 19: Flood Relief Donations Drive
- Tuesday, October 25: National Mix-it-Up Day (students need to bring a bag lunch)
- Friday, October 28: 8th grade dress down & pizza lunch
- Monday, October 31: Halloween (costumes welcome but must be dress code appropriate, functional for class, and not include masks or weapons)
- Tuesday, November 1 – Thursday, November 3: Field trip to Washington, DC
- Monday, November 7 – Friday, November 11: Book Fair
- Friday, November 11: Middle School Dance, 7:00-10:00pm
Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Have a great weekend!