7th Grade September Update from Mr. Greg Anysz
Hello from Seventh Grade,
The first few days have been amazing to watch faculty, students, and parents embrace all the new possibilities in Middle School.The students are beginning to understand the flow of their classes, how to navigate private lessons, and after school sports. We hope to see all of you at parents night. It will be good for you to talk with your child about who their advisor is and where their classroom is located. If you are unable to attend parents night and have questions please reach out to me or your child’s advisor.
The motto for the seventh grade is Venturing Out By Leading With Others. We will explore the competencies of the Lead From Here framwork throughout the year. The first few weeks each advisory will be reviewing the student handbook, setting goals for seventh grade, and competing in Raven Rights competitions for a chance to earn the Raven.
The end of September and first week in October are a busy time for the students. On the 14th they will have their first event with the Social Institute of the year. Laura Tierney will address the 7th grade in Jones Theater with the “Pump Up” Kick-Off in preparation for the small group work that will take place during the last week in September. Our Lead From Here Community Day is on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 (1:00 -3:30 p.m.) Each student needs to wear tennis shoes, and it is a dress down day.
Community Time: Most weeks we follow the set schedule below from 12:45-1:30.
- Monday – Full Middle School Meeting in Jones Theatre followed by Tutorial from 1:10-1:35
- Tuesday – Lead From Here Activity in Advisory
- Wednesday – Full Tutorial
- Thursday – Full Tutorial or Grade Level Meeting with time for Tutorial
- Friday – Look Ahead: advisors will share the Commuity time activities/ schedule, and any special events. They will also share the test and quiz calendar with the students. The students will write down this information in their assignment notebook.
- Leaving school?
- Students need to SIGN OUT at the front office with Ms. Danoff.
- Students will need to estimate a return time if they will only be out for an appointment
- Students will also need to write the name of the person who is picking them up.
- Missing a day of school, for an appointment, sporting events, or family trip*:
- Have your student check the class syllabus.
- Then go to the teacher during break or community time to ask for the work they will miss.
- *For a family trip your students will need a prearranged absence form that can be obtained from the front office and completed by each of your child’s teachers.
- September 12 – Middle School Photo Day
- September 13 – Outsiders Day (11:10 a.m. – 1:35 p.m.) and Middle School Parent Night (6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.)
- September 19 – The Social Institute Parent Presentation (7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.)
- September 20 – Fall Sports Photos
- September 22 – Parent Coffee for Seventh and Eighth grade – 8:00 am
- September 26 – Fine Arts Photo Day
- October 3 – Parent Meeting for AstroCamp Trip 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 pm
- October 4 – Lead From Here Community Day 12:00 -3:00 pm
The GoPlaySave fundraiser runs from August 31-September 19. NEW THIS YEAR! LS and MS students who sell at least three books can participate in the first-ever GoPlaySave DRESS DOWN DAY on September 28!
Faculty/Staff Appreciation Lunch: October 4
Calling all cooks! Our first Faculty/Staff Appreciation Luncheon is approaching – October 4. The theme is “Kick-off the School Year – Come tailgate with us!” Please take this opportunity to show our faculty and staff how much we appreciate them! Please sign up to cook.