8th Grade Update from Mrs. Sarah Baker
8th Grade Families,
We have hit the ground running in eighth grade! Students have earned outside eating privileges, had their first pizza lunch, and have officially started their Ravens in Action research. Ravens in Action (RIA) is our year-long capstone project. Students spend first semester researching a global issue, they present their research during the December midterms, and they find a way to serve locally during second semester. Friday, March 30 will be the Ravens in Action Forum where we invite you to join us to see the culmination of their projects.
How can you help your child with RIA? Right now, students are selecting their topics. While the topics must be approved by an eighth grade advisor, you are encouraged to talk to your child about his/her options. The topics must be global issues with a local focus. Students spent a couple of days in the library exploring topics through the Taking It Global website. Feel free to explore with them if you are able! The goal is not to solve an issue, but rather bring awareness to an issue that feels important to the individual student.
RIA Research Check-In Dates:
- Friday, September 15 – Task definition due (research guide is located in each student’s RIA folder on Drive)
- Wednesday, September 27 – Deadline for topic approval
- Friday, September 29 – Research questions & searchable keywords due
- Friday, October 6 – Identification of resources to use due
- Friday, October 27 – Notetaking due
Reminders from our Grade Level Representatives:
- Parent volunteer opportunity: The next three 8th grade pizza lunches will take place on Friday, October 6, Thursday, November 2 and Friday, December 1. See the Sign-up Genius to help at the lunch or provide items.
- The parent meeting to learn more about the upcoming DC trip (November 6-8) will be on Wednesday, October 11 at 7pm in the PA room.
- Calling all cooks: Our first Faculty/Staff Appreciation Luncheon is approaching on Wednesday, October 4. The theme is “Kick-off the School Year – Come tailgate with us!” If you are able, consider signing up to cook.
- Homecoming is on Friday, October 13. Sign-up to volunteer and/or order dinner.
Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. Have a wonderful week!