8th Grade April Update from Sarah Baker
Dear 8th Grade Families,
I want to begin by congratulating each of our eighth graders for their Ravens in Action projects. Their passions were evident, and I was thrilled to hear that many of them are planning to continue their service with various organizations this summer and next year. We even were able to see work from a few budding entrepreneurs during the Forum, which was inspiring! I could not have been more proud, and I am confident that all of the eighth grade advisors feel the same way.
On Wednesday, April 18, we will celebrate Earth Day as a middle school. This includes a “trashless” lunch advisory points opportunity! Students need to bring their lunches, and the goal is for them to utilize reusable containers instead of disposable ones for their food and drinks. The advisory with the least amount of trash will not lose any points off their current total.
Ravenscroft is hosting the Special Olympics on Thursday, April 19. This is also an X Day, and students will not go to their regular classes. We will have a variety of activities throughout the day, so it will be important for students to wear sneakers.
The next 8th grade pizza lunch and dress down day will also take place on Thursday, April 19. Parents are invited to participate by supplying fruit, veggies, and dessert, and/or by helping to set up, serve, and clean up. Please see the Sign Up Genius for volunteer options. The school supplies the following types of pizza: cheese, pepperoni, gluten free, and non-dairy/vegan. If your child has an allergy or dietary restriction that requires a different accommodation, please notify Michelle O’Donnell or Julie McGinnis.
Please save the date for an 8th grade get-together for students to celebrate the successful completion of Middle School. We will meet at Umstead Park from 4 – 7pm on Thursday, May 31, 2018. We will have snacks, entertainment and games to mark this amazing accomplishment. Please be on the lookout for updated information including ways that parents can volunteer. We look forward to seeing you then!
Important upcoming dates:
- Wednesday, April 18: Earth Day activities & trashless lunch
- Thursday, April 19: Special Olympics X Day & 8th grade pizza lunch and dress down (wear sneakers)
- Friday, May 4: MS Dance, 7-10pm
- Friday, May 11: No school for MS due to Ensembles trip to Busch Gardens
- Tuesday, May 29: Upper School Math Exam (for students in Geometry or Honors Geometry)
- Wednesday, May 30: 8th grade World Language Exam & Closing Exercises Rehearsal (11:30am dismissal for 8th graders)
- Thursday, May 31: 8th grade math exam & MS awards ceremony (11:30am dismissal for MS)
- Friday, June 1: 8th grade closing exercises & reception (1:30-3:00pm)
Let me know if you have any questions! Have a wonderful week.