7th Grade April Update from Greg Anysz
Dear 7th Grade Families,
As we return from spring break I hope you and your child talked about the feedback provided by their teachers and advisor to set a plan for the last part of the second semester. We appreciate your partnership to ensure that students conclude the last seven weeks of seventh grade in a positive way!
Course registration forms for the 2018-2019 school year are due tomorrow, April 17, and should be given to your child’s advisor. Students will need a signed form to register online for classes this Thursday, April 19. If you or your child have questions about the registration form, or elective options, feel free to connect with me or your child’s advisor.
Did you know the average person generates 4.4 pounds of trash each day? To celebrate Earth Day (which is officially Sunday, April 22), the Ravenscroft Middle School will be holding a Lunch Trash Challenge on Wednesday, April 18. Students should plan on bringing a packed lunch that day and will be eating lunch in their advisories.
Each student’s goal is to bring a lunch that contains the least amount of trash as possible–we’re encouraging everyone to make their best effort at using reusable bottles, packaging, and containers! Prizes will be awarded for the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade advisory that generates the least amount of lunch trash.
In addition to our Lunch Trash Challenge, we’ll be working on activities with our advisories to learn more about environmental conservation, and everyone will play a part in planting a butterfly garden right next to the middle school!
We’re all looking forward to a great Earth Day celebration! Thank you for your help and support
Thursday, April 19 (X Day):
Opening Ceremonies of Special Olympics, followed by grade level activities. This is a Dress Down day for students and faculty. Lunch will be provided.
We continue to work on the Lead From Here competency Empathetic: willing to listen to others, try to understand their feelings, and help them be supported. Advisors will facilitate a discussion on Special Olympics as they prepare to cheer on the parade of athletes during the opening ceremonies.
Middle School Intramurals:
Basketball and Volleyball will begin this Wednesday April 18. Basketball is held in Cox Court (Richards Hall) and Volleyball is in the back gym of the Finley Center. Please return the permission form to the middle school office. All questions can be directed to Jim Gibbons.
- April 18: Middle School Earth Day Celebration & Trashless Lunch, 12:05 – 1:40 p.m.
- April 19: Wake County Special Olympics hosted at Ravenscroft School; Grade-level specific activities
- April 20: The Social Institute Middle School Parent Presentation, 8:15 – 9:45 a.m., Library Technology Center
- April 29: Lower, Middle, and Upper School Strings Concert, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m., Jones Theatre
- April 29: Fine Arts Awards & Recognition Ceremony, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m., Campus Green
- April 29: Middle and Upper School Band Concert, 6:30 – 7:45 p.m., Jones Theatre
- May 1: Middle School Spring Sports Fan Day, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- May 2: Lower, Middle, and Upper School Choir Concert, 6:30 – 7:45 p.m., Jones Theatre
- May 4: Middle School Dance, 7:00 – 10:00 p.m., Dining Hall
- May 5: Middle School All-State Orchestra Clinic
- May 7 to May 10: Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 11: No School, Middle School Professional Development Day
- May 11: Middle School Ensembles Perform at Busch Gardens Festival