6th Grade September Update from Scott Ringenbach and Amy Tomblinson
Thank you for coming to Parent Night! We enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to partnering with you this year. As the sixth graders move into their second month of middle school they are enjoying more freedom as well as increased responsibility. They are learning to depend upon their assignment notebook as an important tool for staying organized and keeping track of homework assignments and upcoming assessments. Your friendly reminder at home to double check homework in their assignment notebooks and make sure that they charge their chromebook nightly will support them as they transition from lower to middle school.
In our advisory groups we have been focusing on the notion of identity as it applies both individually and as a member of the Ravenscroft community. Students have created personal identity maps and discussed how who they are and the choices that they make connect to our Lead From Here framework. Advisory groups worked collaboratively, making important connections between the Character Tree and the School’s Citizen Leader Framework. In sixth grade, we emphasize leading self throughout the year as we encourage students to be self-aware, growth-minded, resilient, motivated and accountable. Our advisory lessons revolve around these principles. Students will have more exposure to these key concepts during our Lead From Here Community Day which has been rescheduled for October 5.
While we have certainly been busy mastering our new schedules and routines, we have also had more than a bit of fun! Students enjoyed our recent Hat Day and are looking forward to Crazy Sock Day scheduled for September 20.
In closing, please remember to reach out to your child’s advisor, Scott Ringenbach (6th Grade Dean) or Amy Tomblinson (6th Grade Team Leader), should you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support your child as they grow academically, socially, and emotionally throughout their sixth grade year.
Scott Ringenbach and Amy Tomblinson
- September 18: GoPlaySave Books Fundraiser Ends
- September 19: Social Institute Parent Presentation, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m., Dining Hall
- September 20: Middle School Parent Coffee , 8:00 – 9:00 a.m., Dining Hall
- September 20: Ravenscroft Global Travel Opportunities Meeting, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Jones Theatre
- September 20: Crazy Sock Day in Middle School (students are encouraged to wear a pair of “crazy” socks)
- September 21: Interim Report Period 1 Ends
- September 21: Fall Fan Day (students are encouraged to wear green and gold)
- September 25-26: Fine Arts Photo Day
- October 5: Middle School Lead From Here Community Day, 12:05 – 3:30 p.m.
- October 8: Fall Break (no school)
Notes from The Parents’ Association
The GoPlaySave fundraiser is underway! If you haven’t received a fundraiser envelope yet, please check with your child – it’s probably in his or her locker or backpack! Please return all orders to your child’s advisor by Tuesday, September 18. You can use this link (and share it with family and friends) for easy online ordering: http://www.goplaysavetriangle.com/store/RCS2019. Remember that all students who sell at least 3 books can participate in the GoPlaySave Dress Down Day on September 28!