Ravenscroft Announces 2012-13 Chromebook Plans
Dear Ravenscroft Community,
As you are aware, Ravenscroft was fortunate to receive a gift from the Replogle family to conduct a Chromebook pilot program in grades 7 and 10 during the second semester of the 2011-12 school year.
We sincerely appreciate the feedback received from all constituents throughout the pilot program as well as through the end of program surveys. While we learned much from the pilot program, two statistics emerged from the surveys that are key indicators for the School:
- 80% of parents responding to the survey said they would endorse Ravenscroft moving to a 1:1 program in grades 7 to 12.
- 72% of all survey respondents (students, parents, and faculty) supported Ravenscroft moving forward with a 1:1 program using Chromebooks in grades 7 to 12.
Based on these key indicators, the data gathered through surveys, and the lessons learned from the pilot, Ravenscroft is pleased to announce that all students in grades 7 to 12 will be provided a Chromebook during the 2012-13 school year at no additional cost to families.
Based on survey data the following are key changes to the program for 2012-13:
- Ravenscroft will self-insure all Chromebooks against accidental damage at no cost to families.
- Ravenscroft will supply all students with a protective Chromebook case at no cost to families.
In addition, survey data helped Ravenscroft assess the following areas:
- How students used their Chromebooks both academically and personally.
- How Chromebooks and Google Apps for Education were integrated into classrooms.
- Google Cloud Printing in an enterprise network.
- Our campus WiFi infrastructure and bandwidth.
- Our service level agreements and repair service vendor.
We acknowledge that Chromebooks and Google Apps for Education are new concepts for the entire Ravenscroft community. As such, we realize this announcement may be met with a variety of questions. In order to provide timely information on this program we will update and share information regarding this important step in Ravenscroft’s technological journey at http://google.ravenscroft.org.
Formal information regarding the 2012-13 Chromebook initiative, including pick-up dates at the start of school, will be released in the weeks ahead.
Doreen C. Kelly
Head of School