Running Towards Our Goals
Both kids are asleep, husband is home to keep an eye on them, and I actually don’t feel exhausted — these conditions call for a nice afternoon run!
Before I begin what I am sure will be a jog rather than a run, I make a plan for how long I will run, the route I will take, and the pace I hope to maintain.
When I actually get my body in motion, I remind myself why I am running and what needs to happen so I can successfully complete the run.
For a large part of the run, my focus is just few steps ahead of me, concentrating on being in the moment.
I also find opportunities to glance far ahead of me to see where I am headed, and ultimately how much longer it will take me to reach my destination.
Occasionally, I glance to left and right to appreciate and become of aware of my surroundings.
When I reflect on how I approached this last run, I realize the process I went through mentally is similar to what is needed when setting and accomplishing our future Lower School goals.
1) Think about the big picture and the desired outcomes.
2) Determine why, how, and what needs to be enhanced, improved, or changed.
3) Focus on short term goals that have an immediate impact on the day-to-day interactions and experiences.
4) Set time aside regularly to discuss and work on long term goals.
5) Connect and collaborate with other educators and experts outside of Ravenscroft.
As I return to school this week to close out and celebrate the end of the 2011-2012 school year, I find myself thinking about possible short and long term goals that we can begin discussing and working on this summer.
Our long term goals will be based on school-wide strategic initiatives and related to:
- Leadership and citizenship
- Programmatic excellence and distinction
- Technology integration
- Professional development
Some of the short-term goals will include:
- Reviewing and revising our Lower School Handbook
- Clarifying and communicating our discipline policies and procedures
- Reviewing and revising our dress code (yes, we will get any changes to you asap to help with summer shopping)
- Beautifying and enhancing our learning spaces
I know this is a very busy time for everyone, but I want to hear your thoughts about areas that you feel we need to be considering when establishing both our short and long term goals.
Leave a comment, schedule a face-to-face meeting, write an email, or make a phone call to answer the question:
What could be enhanced, improved, or changed to make the educational experience a superior one in Ravenscroft’s Lower School?