Week of May 22nd-June 1st
It seems like our first day of school was just yesterday. We blinked and here we are at the end of the year! This will be our last blog post for the year and it will contain all of the important dates and events for the next two weeks until the last day of school.
We are incredibly proud of all the growth the children have made during our second grade learning journey! The students have worked so hard and have blossomed as independent, motivated, life-long learners. Thank you for your support at home this year. We appreciate your partnership and enjoyed getting to know each of your families. Thank you for such a joyful and successful year!
We will have our last poetry assignment next week. The theme is “teacher theme” with a minimum of 12 lines. Students should turn in a copy of their poem on Tuesday, May 23rd. All students will recite their poem on Friday, May 26th.
- Friday, May 19th: All library books due– If your child has any library books at home, please be sure that they return them as soon as possible.
- Wednesday, May 24th: Field trip to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- Students need to bring a disposable lunch from home and a drink. We will eat lunch on the field trip.
- Thursday, May 25th: Field Day, X Day
- Please review the team color assignments below. Students should wear a shirt that represents their team color. Students need to wear comfortable shorts and running shoes. They may also bring a hat or water bottle if they choose. We will be outside for about an hour and a half, so applying sunscreen in the morning is a good idea.
- Friday, May 26th: Lower School Read-In; ***Field Day rain date
- We will enjoy a quiet, uninterrupted reading time with all of our Lower School buddies in the gym. Students may bring books from home. They should have enough to read to sustain them for about 45 minutes. Students also need to bring a towel or blanket to sit on.
- Monday, May 29th: Memorial Day- No School
- Tuesday, May 30th: Garden Strings Concert at 11:25
- Students need to bring a lunch from home and a blanket or towel to sit on during our picnic lunch in the garden.
- Wednesday, May 31st: Moving Up Day
- Students will visit the 3rd grade classrooms and learn about some of the highlights of 3rd grade.
- Wednesday, May 31st: 2nd grade end of year luncheon
- We will provide all 2nd graders with a lunch on this day. We will have PDQ chicken tenders, apples with dipping sauce, and chips. We will also watch a movie and have popcorn as a snack. If your child does not wish to have this lunch, please be sure to send your child in with a lunch from home. We will not go to the Dining Hall on this day.
- Thursday, June 1st: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!
- Early dismissal at 11:45
2nd Grade Physical Education Blog Post
2nd graders had a lot of fun in physical education during the 4th quarter. Swimming, always a popular unit, ended with a grade level swim party that was enjoyed by all. Coach Warren worked on improving stroke technique, endurance, and introduced a fun swim game of Cross Pool. The cooperative games and jump roping unit allowed students to continue to work on their fitness levels. Fitness games were combined with a skills review unit, to work on all types of activities were covered throughout the entire school year. As excitement continues to grow 2nd graders are excited to attend Field Day on Thursday, May 25th. We hope they have a great summer vacation and look forward to seeing them next year in 3rd grade PE.
Summer Camps for Rising 3rd Graders-if you are still looking for exciting camps for your rising 3rd grade student below are a few camps that our physical education teachers will be hosting this summer:
Learn to Ride a Bike on Two Wheels– June 19th-23rd, June 26th-30th, and July 24th-28th
Outdoor Adventures–June 26th-30th, July 25th-29th
Girls Lacrosse Skills Camp–June 19th-23rd
Baseball Skills Camp–June 12th-16th
Ravens Summer Swim Lessons (see link for dates and times)-June and July dates available