We had another wonderful week learning and growing together in second grade! Our week concluded with an exciting trip to the 3rd/4th Grade Artisan Market. The students really enjoyed this experience and it was fun spending time together as a larger community.
There will not be a poetry assignment this week. Instead, please have your child memorize his/her part for our upcoming Musical. The students will recite their parts in class on Friday, March 16th, so please be sure your child is practicing daily.
Calling all STEM+ Innovators! Please continue to send in any of the items listed on the letter that went home in the Tuesday folder. While the career tool project is finished, all classes still need a plethora of supplies in order to create our next project for the sound unit. Take a look around the house for any of the items on this list. Please send them to school with your child.
- Saturday, March 10th – LS Dinner and a Movie (6:00-8:00 p.m.; Dining Hall)
- Monday March 12th-Wednesday March 14th – SAFEChild “Funny Tummy Feelings” presentations for 1st and 2nd graders
- Tuesday, March 13th – LS Clubs (3:00-4:00)
- Using what we notice to spark new ideas (topics) for opinion writing
- Including helpful linking words to support our opinions with evidence from the text
- Attending to the use of conventions in mentor texts and getting creative with conventions in our own writing
- Adding extras to our writing to create extra meaning
- Noticing idioms and incorporating them into our own writing
- Using strategies to remember details from longer stories and books
- Reading as a writer by focusing on special language
- Reviewing and practicing spelling patterns and principles
- Solving number stories with comparison diagrams (organizing information from number stories that involve comparing two different quantities)
- Selecting appropriate tools and strategies to solve two-step number stories
- Making ballpark estimates and inventing our own strategies for solving addition problems
- Manipulating base-10 blocks to find partial sums and learning the Partial-Sums Method for addition
- Conducting experiments to explore sound and hearing
- Investigating what makes sound and how sound waves travel
- Reflecting on our role as citizen-leaders and considering what our role is in preserving the environment
- Understanding how various cultures influence communities
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES
2nd graders have been working hard and having fun in PE during Quarter 3. They continue to work on improving their movement patterns and individual sports skills, and are applying these skills to a variety of fun games and activities. 2nd graders have done a great job so far raising funds for the American Heart Association’s fight against heart disease through the Jump Rope for Heart campaign. Fundraising will continue through March 30th.