We have been working hard in second grade this week, learning and growing along with our friends. We have dedicated some of our time this week to practicing for the upcoming second grade musical. The students have enjoyed practicing their songs and are getting excited about being on stage for their performance in a few weeks!
On Monday, March 26th, we will have a special and unique opportunity to engage in a Skype interview with two well-known and published authors, Carole Boston Weatherford and James Ransome. We have been studying their books throughout our reading unit this quarter and have been noticing the ways these authors use literary language in their books. The students will get a chance to ask these authors some questions in this interview. We are looking forward to learning from these two well-respected authors.
There will be no poem this week due to our early dismissal on Friday. Students should continue to refine and polish their speaking part for the upcoming musical. Encourage your child to practice saying their part with expression and enthusiasm.
- Friday, March 23rd- Early Dismissal at 11:45, X-Day (non-numbered), Dress Down Day
- Monday, March 26th-Wednesday, March 28th – Rescheduled SAFEChild “Funny Tummy Feelings” presentations for 1st and 2nd graders
- Studying a variety of reviews, such as movie reviews, restaurant reviews, and product reviews, as mentor texts such in order to learn the craft moves for writing a persuasive review
- Generating a list of topics we are passionate about and could write a persuasive review to convince an audience of our opinion
- Supporting our opinions with multiple reasons and pieces of evidence in order to convince our audience.
- Using a graphic organizer in order to structure our persuasive writing piece
- Using strategies, such as sticky notes for important parts or to keep track of different characters, to tackle confusing parts in stories
- Setting goals for our own reading
- Forming book clubs based on our personal reading goals and working with peers to grow in the areas of understanding literary language, reading fluency, or strategies for keeping track of longer books
- Reviewing and practicing spelling patterns and principles
- Reviewing how we manipulate base-10 blocks to find partial sums and use the Partial-Sums Method for addition
- Manipulating base-10 blocks to solve two-digit subtraction problems
- Inventing strategies to help us solve two-digit subtraction problems
- Conducting experiments to explore sound and hearing
- Investigating what makes sound and how sound waves travel
- Reflecting on our role as citizen-leaders and considering what our role is in preserving the environment
- Understanding how various cultures influence communities
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES
Swim PE will begin in a few weeks. Each class will have an opportunity to engage in a two week swim unit with Coach Warren. Students should bring a swimsuit and towel in a separate bag on the assigned dates (see below). Goggle are recommended, but not required. Students will also probably want to bring flip flops or sandals for changing in the locker room and walking onto the pool deck.
Crawford’s Class: March 26-April 6
Lane’s Class: April 16- April 27
Coffey’s Class: April 30-May 10