Spring is always a busy and exciting time in Lower School! On Monday, we will have the 2nd Grade Strings Garden Concert. All students who are enrolled in strings classes will perform for parents and the rest of the second grade students. This concert will take place during lunch time in the garden area behind the Lower School gym. All students will need to bring a lunch on Monday. We will not go to the Dining Hall. We will listen to the concert and then enjoy a picnic lunch together. Students may bring a towel or blanket to sit on as well. All parents are invited to attend this event and enjoy the concert, even if your child is not enrolled in strings classes.
There will be no poetry assignment this week. Instead, students will be receiving their transition part for our Time Machine performance. This part will introduce the next person in the performance. On Friday, students will recite their entire speech, as well as their transition part so that we can practice our performance in chronological order as it will be performed on May 17th.
Time Machine projects are due on Friday, May 10th. We are looking forward to learning from one another and displaying these projects throughout the week, leading up to our Time Machine performance on May 17th. For ideas and project suggestions, please refer to the letter that was sent home prior to Spring Break. Information about the Time Machine can also be viewed under the tab at the top of this blog, for specific expectations at school and at home for this Time Machine project.
- Monday, May 6th –2nd Grade Garden Concert in Holden Garden – ALL Students will need to bring a lunch and a towel or blanket to use for sitting on the grass
- Thursday, May 9th – We will attend the First Grade musical at 8:30 in Jones Theater
- Friday, May 10- Time Machine projects are due to your child’s homeroom teacher
- Wednesday, May 15th – Students will attend the Third Grade recorder concert at 8:30 in Jones Theater – Grade 2 PARENTS to TRANSITION MEETING for Third Grade (2:00-3:00) in Winston Library
- Friday, May 17th – Time Machine 9:00 am in your child’s classroom
- Thursday, May 23rd – Lower School Field Day – information will come from the PE Department
- Monday, May 27th – Memorial Day holiday – no school
- Friday, May 31st – Moving Up Day – students will visit the third grade teachers in the morning and EARLY RELEASE for L/S at 11:45
- Synthesizing the important information that was read in these biographies and categorizing this information into the following groups: Personal Life, Accomplishments, and Connections to our Lead From Here Framework
- Writing biographies about our influential people using the notes we gathered during the research process
- Drafting engaging introductions, accomplishments, personal life, and conclusion sections of our biographies
- Incorporating text features such as pictures, captions, maps, and glossaries into our biographies
- Integrating technology to create a timeline that highlights the important life events of our historical figures
- Spelling assessment- Wednesday, May 8th (Day 8)
- Describing the attributes of 2-dimensional shapes
- Building and comparing various polygons
- Drawing various quadrilaterals given a certain set of attributes
- Studying and reading about life cycles of many different animals
- Observing life cycles of ladybugs and mealworms within each classroom community
- Writing observations in journals and listing “wonderings” about the processes and changes occurring
- Researching the accomplishments of important historical figures and determining how they have changed our world
- Determining how the historical figures we are researching have had a positive impact on others
- Using Lead From Here Framework and associated language to discuss Time Machine individual – how they were/are a Citizen Leader
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES
Each class will have an opportunity to engage in a two week swim unit with Coach Warren. Students should bring a swimsuit and towel in a separate bag on the assigned dates (see below). Goggles are recommended, but not required. Students will also probably want to bring flip flops or sandals for changing in the locker room and walking onto the pool deck.
2nd Grade Swimming Unit
Crawford: April 29th, 30th, May 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
Bever: May 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th
Lane: May 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th