Teacher Appreciation Week was lovely! You have made us feel appreciated and loved! We thank you for all the expressions of care and respect.
Our time with the children is flying by too quickly for us! We have many exciting experiences prepared in the next weeks.
The biography projects completed at home are AMAZING! We are impressed! The projects completed will be on display the day of Time Machine. Please take your child’s project home when you leave.
THE TIME MACHINE is almost here!! Final stages of preparation are being made for the BIG day. Friday, May 17th is our TIME MACHINE PRODUCTION. The program will start promptly at 9:00 am. The reception for our 2nd grade students will follow. Please send students to school in their costumes. Also, please remember to send a change of clothes and shoes for after our performance.
Parents and guests will need to enter the classrooms from the exterior doors (facing the L/S Gym). The second grade performers will be in the 1st and 2nd Grade Center and will be lined-up ready for entry into the classrooms. Please do not come into the 1/2 Center as we are getting children quiet, calm, and prepared for the program. The Center is our “backstage.” We ask that you help your child change from their costume into regular school clothes after the reception and please take the costume and the projects home when you depart.
There will be no poetry assignment this week. Instead, students will “polish” their Time Machine performance speaking part and transition part. It is time to use their dramatic and expressive voices. Practice with a sprinkling of gestures at just the right spots and stress particular words for emphasis. It is very important to practice each night! Parents and special guests will be quite surprised by all that these young students have accomplished when they present their parts on Friday morning.
Parents’ Association School Supplies for Lower School students
Rising 3rd – 8th graders will need to purchase school supplies for the 2019/2020 school year. The Parents’ Association has created School Supply Kits to order online in one convenient box. Supplies will be delivered to your child on the first day of school. So easy! You can order supplies May 3- June 30.
School Supply Sale for 2019-2020 (Rising Grades 3-8)
PreK-2nd grade will utilize community supplies provided by Ravenscroft.
- Wednesday, May 15th – Students will attend the Third Grade recorder concert at 8:30 in Jones Theater – Grade 2 PARENTS to TRANSITION MEETING for Third Grade (2:00-3:00) in Winston Library
- Friday, May 17th: 2nd grade Time Machine Performance (9:00-10:00 a.m. in 2nd grade classrooms) Reception for students immediately following program
- Friday, May 17th– All library books are due
- Thursday, May 23rd – Lower School Field Day – information will come from the PE Department
- Monday, May 27th – Memorial Day holiday – no school
- Friday, May 31st – Moving Up Day – students will visit the third grade teachers in the morning and EARLY RELEASE for L/S at 11:45
- Finalizing the biography drafts about our influential people using the notes we gathered during the research process
- Revising and editing introductions, accomplishments, personal life, and conclusion sections of our biographies
- Illustrating the sections of the biography and adding text features
- Publishing biography
- Sorting and comparing 3-D shapes according to their attributes
- Using manipulatives to partition rectangles into same-size squares
- Using strategies to solve number stories about equal groups and arrays
- Continuing to read and study about life cycles of many different animals
- Comparing and contrasting the life cycles of animals within a group (ex) – ladybug compared/contrasted to dragonfly
- Researching the accomplishments of important historical figures and determining how they have changed our world
- Determining how the historical figures we are researching have had a positive impact on others
- Using Lead From Here Framework and associated language to discuss Time Machine individual – how they were/are a Citizen Leader
Each class will have an opportunity to engage in a two week swim unit with Coach Warren. Students should bring a swimsuit and towel in a separate bag on the assigned dates (see below). Goggles are recommended, but not required. Students will also probably want to bring flip flops or sandals for changing in the locker room and walking onto the pool deck.
2nd Grade Swimming Unit
Bever: May 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th
Lane: May 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th