The students really enjoyed Mix It Up Day! Friday began with a school wide read aloud during the morning announcements. Fifth graders joined second graders to eat lunch and serve as facilitators in the small classroom lunch groups. After the fifth graders left, teachers held debriefing sessions with the children in their rooms to think about the experience of noticing how we are alike. Experiencing joy for others is a great way to demonstrate positive empathy for others.
We are looking forward to meeting the special guests of our second graders on Tuesday, November 21st. Wishing all of our families a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving vacation! We will look forward to the return of our students on Monday, November 27th.
- Monday, November 20th – 2nd grade rehearsal for Grandparents and Special Friends Day in Finley Center (12:00-12:55)
- Tuesday, November 21st – Grandparents and Special Friends Day: (1:00 – 2:00) – Program in Main Arena; (2:00 – 3:00) Special guests visit in Lower School)
*Shuttles will be running from Finley Center to Lower School and back between 12-3 p.m. The event will be livestreamed. Please use this link.
- Becoming experts about new and interesting topics
- Growing our knowledge about nonfiction topics by putting together the details that we read with our own thoughts and asking, “What is this book teaching me?”
- Previewing all the parts of a book in order to determine what a book will teach us and asking, “How does this book go?”
- Generating ideas about subjects we are experts on and could write about in order to teach others
- Using a table of contents page to plan and organize our information books
- Organizing our writing by chapters with topic-specific information in each section
- Finding missing numbers and missing rules by using a table as a visual to solve “What’s My Rule?” problems
- Using doubles facts to solve subtraction problems
- Using 10 as an easy number to work with and help us solve subtraction problems (Ex: 15-6 can be broken down into 15-5=10 and subtract one more to get 9.)
- Conducting experiments to explore force and motion
- Engaging in a Lead From Here lesson to explore the Leading With Others competency of communicative
- Understanding how government services add value to our communities
- Exploring how governments establish order, provide security, and create laws to manage conflict
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES