It seems like our first day of school was just yesterday. We blinked and here we are at the end of the year! This will be our last blog post for the year and it will contain all of the important dates, events, and learning targets for the next two weeks.
We are incredibly proud of all the growth the children have made during our second grade learning journey! The students have worked so hard and have blossomed as independent, motivated, life-long learners. Thank you for your support at home this year. We appreciate your partnership and enjoyed getting to know each of your families. Thank you for such a joyful and successful year!
Poetry will resume this week and this will be our final poem for this school year. The theme for this week’s poem is Teacher Appreciation. Poem line length this week will remain at 12 lines. Students should turn in a copy of the poem to their teacher on Tuesday, May 22nd. Students will recite their poem on Friday, May 25th.
Please check the bottom of the blog post for additional swimming days.
- Monday, May 21st: Transition Meeting for Rising 3rd grade parents (2:00-3:00 p.m., Winston Library)
- Friday, May 25th: Read-In (8:15-9:00, L/S Gym) AND Early Release (11:45 a.m.)
- Monday, May 28th: No school for students – Memorial Day
- Tuesday, May 29th: LS Moving Up Day (8:15-9:15 a.m.)
- Wednesday, May 30th: Field Day
- Thursday, May 31st: Last Day – Early Release
- Reflecting on our biography unit and providing feedback
- Assessing taught spelling patterns from this year to analyze how much everyone has grown
- Reading and writing different forms of poetry
- Exploring multiple subtraction strategies
- Reviewing place value by writing multi-digit numbers in expanded form and comparing them
- Strategies to determine whether a trade is needed to solve a subtraction problem
- Solving number stories involving money and using mental math to find and compare totals
- Continuing to read and study about life cycles of many different animals
- Comparing and contrasting the life cycles of animals within a group (ex) – ladybug compared/contrasted to dragonfly
- Reviewing LFH competencies we learned throughout this year in preparation for third grade
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES
Bonus Swimming Lessons Schedule (please send your child’s swim bag on the following days):
Lane: May 17th, 18th, and 21st
Coffey: May 23rd, 24th, 25th