We are looking forward to putting our design-thinking hats on next week as we prepare for our Lower School STEM+ Week. Each day next week, we will engage in an event with an engineering and design focus. All week long, students in grades Pre-Kindergarten-2nd will be creating, testing, and improving a design that will transport water along a certain distance. We will culminate the week by seeing which design transports the most water of all the designs created!
Our poetry theme next week is a Valentine/Friendship theme with a minimum of 8 lines.
A special note from the Parent’s Association:
We would love for you to be a part of the Parents’ Association for next year! Join us as we make friendships and create amazing experiences for our children. Sign up here.
- Thursday, February 14th-Valentine’s Day Classroom Parties (Each class will be making a craft and having a special snack.)
- Monday, February 18th-Friday, February 22rd – WINTER BREAK – classes resume on Monday, February 25th
- Writing persuasive letters about our favorite characters and parts of books; including reasons and examples from the text to support our opinions
- Making our letters about books even better by retelling important parts
- Considering our audience by leaving our readers “hanging” as to not spoil the ending of our favorite books
- Using a checklist to set goals for ourselves as writers
- Noticing dialogue tags to promote fluency during reading
- Reading a text at a just-right pace
- Recognizing and discussing literary language with our reading partners
- Reviewing, practicing, and writing with spelling patterns- Spelling Check on Tuesday, February 12th (Day 8)
- Solving change number stories involving temperature
- Completing an open response problem to demonstrate flexibility with adding multi-digit numbers
- Using picture graphs and bar graphs to represent a set of data
- Conducting experiments to explore sound and hearing
- Investigating what makes sound and how sound waves travel
- Designing a water transporter (STEM+ Week Challenge)
- Collaborating with Pre-K students to design a creation that will protect an egg from breaking when dropped from a high point (STEM+ Week Challenge that will take place on Valentine’s Day and will use Valentine-themed materials)
- Reflecting on our role as citizen-leaders and considering what our role is in preserving the environment
- Studying ways that we can protect our physical environment
SPECIAL AREA UPDATES
PE Update: 2nd graders have been working hard and having fun in PE during the start of Quarter 3. They continue to work on improving their movement patterns and individual sports skills and are applying these skills to a variety of fun games and activities. 2nd graders have done a great job so far raising funds for the American Heart Association’s fight against heart disease through the Jump Rope for Heart campaign and are looking forward to our “Jump-A-Thon” during their PE class on February 14th. Fundraising for Jump Rope for Heart will continue through February 15th.
Spanish Update: Please click the link below to view the most recent Spanish newsletter.