IMPORTANT A. NNOUNCEMENTS
It seems like our first day of school was just yesterday. We blinked and here we are at the end of the year! This will be our final blog post for the 2018 – 2019 school year. We are incredibly proud of all the growth the children have made during our second grade learning journey! The students have worked so hard and have blossomed as independent, motivated, life-long learners. Thank you for your support at home this year. We appreciate your partnership and enjoyed getting to know each of your families. Thank you for such a joyful and successful year!
To celebrate the conclusion of a wonderful school year, the second grade teachers are providing a special lunch and celebration for our students on Thursday, May 30th. The lunch will be at our regular lunch time of 11:15. We are having Chick-Fil-A nuggets, fruit, chips, water, and a cookie. If your child does not care for that menu, they may bring a lunch from home. We will not be going to the Dining Hall on Thursday.
Parents’ Association School Supplies for Lower School students
Rising 3rd – 8th graders will need to purchase school supplies for the 2019/2020 school year. The Parents’ Association has created School Supply Kits to order online in one convenient box. Supplies will be delivered to your child on the first day of school. So easy! You can order supplies May 3- June 30.
School Supply Sale for 2019-2020 (Rising Grades 3-8)
PreK-2nd grade will utilize community supplies provided by Ravenscroft.
- Monday, May 27th – Memorial Day holiday – no school
- Thursday, May 30th – Second Grade Luncheon and Celebration 11:15-2:15
- Friday, May 31st– X Day; 2nd Grade ¨Pool Party¨ for PE time
- All students should bring a swimsuit and towel. Goggles are optional.
- Friday, May 31st – Moving Up Day – students will visit the third grade teachers in the morning and EARLY RELEASE for L/S at 11:45
- Monday, June 3rd – Lower School Read-In – students may bring a beach towel or blanket to use in the L/S Gym – starts at 8:15
- Tuesday, June 4th – Last day of school – Tree Talk at 10:45 – DISMISSAL at 11:45
- Reading and writing different forms of poetry
- Seeing the world in fresh, unusual ways through a poet’s lens
- Listening for line breaks in our poems in order to make our words look right and sound right
- Reviewing reading comprehension strategies that we have learned throughout the year by responding to our reading through our writing
- Reflecting on the growth we have made as readers
- Reviewing spelling patterns and principles
- Assessing taught spelling patterns from this year to analyze how much everyone has grown
- Exploring multiple subtraction strategies
- Reviewing place value by writing multi-digit numbers in expanded form and comparing them
- Strategies to determine whether a trade is needed to solve a subtraction problem
- Solving number stories involving money and using mental math to find and compare totals
- Reviewing second grade math skills and assessing growth
- Continuing to read and study about life cycles of many different animals
- Comparing and contrasting the life cycles of animals
- Reviewing LFH competencies we learned throughout this year in preparation for third grade
All second graders will have an opportunity to engage in a “Pool Party” on Friday, May 31st.